Brian Voce

I have been a part time lecturer here at Lincoln University since 2004.  I teach Visual Expression to first year B.A. Hons’ Graphic Design students and also Image and Communication to B.A. Hons’ Creative Advertising students.  I hugely enjoy working with my colleagues, and with students on both courses.

_

‘Geo’ Viral Series Oil on Canvas

_

Crop series 2009. Collograph

_

As a team, here at Lincoln we really stretch our students, encouraging them to question and explore the boundaries of what graphic design actually is.  Being part of this process and seeing the results in terms of students’ ideas is (for me) one of the most rewarding parts of the job. As a tutor I think I’m very demanding of students expecting them to demonstrate the same commitment and passion for the work as I have for it and to them.

_

‘Untitled’ Fuzzy logic series. Giclée print 2010.

_

Pedagogical Experience

I have been involved in a wide range of Art and Design activities since 1982, when I first ran a community arts workshop for Nott’s County Council Youth and Community Service. I have worked with male and female Offenders, Adult Education, Special Needs, and post A level students. During the early nineties I taught Drawing and Visual Studies (amongst other things) as a specialist subject at Nat Dip and Foundation level at Loughborough College of Art and Design.  I have also run childrens arts workshops for schools and local authorities, and privately from my studio, and still do run an adult class for local amateurs.

_

Personal work and research interests.

As well as being a tutor I continue to explore and develop my own work.  There has never been a time when I have not been productive as an artist.  I work in a range of media both traditional, and digital. My ideas have consistently explored themes of transience, time, human systems, and interaction with the environment. My current work explores issues of genetic modification to produce new chimeras. Of particular interest is the way simple systems combine in unexpected ways to produce complex and unpredictable outcomes. I am also developing a series of ‘collected lives’. These pieces record the artifacts and trivia we amass throughout our lives to give ourselves reference and context, but are ultimately meaningless and valueless to others.

_

‘Cold Dark Seed’ Fuzzy logic series. Giclée print 2010.

_

Inspiration comes from many sources (too many to list) and observing the world around me. Ideas are never a problem. Time is in fact the most precious commodity. I find that my ideas ‘tumble’ over each other combining and overlapping as the opportunities and time spaces to create work are limited by life’s responsibilities.

_

_

‘Fourth’ Fuzzy logic series. Giclée print 2010.

_

Collographs. Untitled 2010.

_

Further details can be found at www.echoesfromthedreamtime.co.uk